Hello Statalisters,

I have downloaded some information from NZ.Stat (New Zealand Quarterly Work Statistics) and am having trouble reshaping due to the format of the data. I've posted an example so you can see what I mean. The data is downloadable (the easy part), but the format is layered in a way where I can't retain the region-specific information with the industry sector. Is there some way I can connect the region (in row 2) and add it to industry type (from row 3) and then reshape from wide to long so I can then collapse to get the annual figures for each year in the data? I know each of these commands so I don't need help with anything past the first (and most challenging step). See the thumbnail for the format of the data as it show in STATA and the csv file for the raw data that was imported to STATA. I have put in a request for NZ Stats to create this for me, but it accrues a cost for custom files, and since I have the data it doesn't make sense for me to pay for something that just needs a bit of manipulation to be useful for my project.

Best,

Davia Downey