I am trying to plot a number of graphs using the ascending and stairstep connect styles of the connect option. My data is sorted by id and x. The command

. twoway (line y x, connect(ascending stairstep))

ignores the stairstep connect style, while the command

. twoway (line y x, connect( stairstep ascending))

ignores the ascending option. Neither command generates an error message. The help file appears to indicate that I can include multiple styles in my connect option. Is this a bug or am I misreading the help file?

Ultimately, I would like to plot a large number of curves on a single graph. I could issue commands like

. twoway (line y x if id==1, connect( stairstep)) (line y x if id==2, connect( stairstep))

Is this the optimal way of getting what I want? I could build up this command using a local macro. Are there any limits to the size of a twoway graph command? If I wanted to plot graphs from 1000 bootstraps, would this approach work?