Dear Statalists,

I have a survey data that contains categorical variables in the Likert scale (typically 5 categories between strongly agree- strongly disagree). I would like to calculate a kind of average weighted scores by assigning values for each response categories, then, dividing it by a total number of observations. The values assigned as follows:
Category The value that will be assigned
1 - Strongly disagree -2
2 – Disagree -1
3 – Neither disagree nor agree 0
4 – Agree +1
5 – Disagree +2
Now I want to calculate an average weighted score for each variable like this:
Average weighted score = (All Strongly disagrees * -2) +(All Disagrees * -1)+ (All NDNAs * 0)+ (All Agrees * +1)+ (All Strongly agrees * +2) / Total number of frequency

I could not figure out how to do that easily in Stata.

I will be grateful for any help and advice.
Best regards,
Savas