Hello, relatively new user here, using stata for my university class and have a base level proficiency at it, and have self taught myself a good amount of what I have needed so far from this forum.

I am trying to merge two datasets together for a regression. The problem is that one of the datasets is paneled by country/year while the other one is country/period. These periods are 5 years each. What I am trying to do is duplicate each period 5 times, and then either rename the period variable or add a year variable so that each of those duplicates now represents one year from the period. For example, for period one, which is 1960-1964, I want to duplicate the period one observation 5 times, and rename so that there is one for 1960, 1961,etc. This way I can merge it smoothly with my other dataset. I have done some research and found the 'expand' command, but I could find no way to have each duplicate have a different name, making it difficult for me to give them each a unique year in an efficient way.

Any help would be appreciated, and apologies if this is a question that has already been answered, did my best to search but may have not used the right key words.