I am trying to respect the rules/norms of this forum, but I didn't feel dataex did much good in this case. I am trying to run a regression and correlation by state. I have a variable state_num with Alabama=1 Alaska =2, etc... I input

forvalues state_num 1/51 {
regress edge percentFRL
correlate edge percentFRL
}

I have more commands than that, but that gives you the idea. The output is giving me 51 of the same thing (ALL Alabama) I'm assuming because it is taking from the first 51 observations instead of each value of state_num representing each state. I have tried foreach as well, but can't seem to get the syntax correct.

Something to maybe note is how I generated state_num is by egen state_num = group(state) Could that have something to do with it? I used encode once upon a time, and it worked, but for some reason some how went back to state name instead of state number, albeit no longer in string format.

I am very much a novice and just picked stata back up after 13 years of not touching it. Some has come back to me, and I am trying so hard to figure things out on my own before coming here (including buying books on my kindle authored by some of you who are always so helpful on here), but I can't figure this out.