I am trying to create a graph scheme for line graphs (-tsline-) that has no y-axis line and ticks, but has a standard x-axis line.

I thought that the most direct way to remove the y-axis line would be to use -linestyle axis_withgrid none-. However, this does not change the graph in any visible way. In contrast, using -linestyle axis none- removes both the y- and x-axis lines. This leads to my first question: what is the definition of axis_withgrid?

I was able to remove only the y-axis line and ticks using -axisstyle vertical_default vertical_nolinetick-. However, after doing so, the size of the tick label cannot be changed using -gsize tick_label textsizestyle-. So my second question is how can I achieve my desired result without losing control of label sizes.

A MWE example of the scheme code and testing commands follow.
Code:
* Scheme name: noyaxis

#include s2color

* First attempt
* linestyle axis_withgrid none
* linestyle axis none

* Second attempt
axisstyle vertical_default vertical_noline
gsize tick_label vsmall
Code:
sysuse uslifeexp , clear
tsset year, yearly

tsline le, scheme(noyaxis)