Dear Stata users,

I have a panel data set consisting of municipalities in my country from 2000-2020, I have three variables which tells what percentage of land is currently used for. So Built_area is one variable, Agricultural_area is the second variable and third variable is NaturalForest_area. So what I want to do is I create 3 variables indicating low_dev,high_dev and med_dev and then each municipality will be in one of these categories. The problem I am facing is that some of my municipalites are not captured in one of these categories. I am not sure but I might think the range is not set properly, hopefully someone could address me the issue and what the solution to this problem is.


These are my commands:
gen med_dev=1 if (Built_area<=32.71& Built_area>10.13 & Agri_area>33.03 & Agri_area<56.32 & NaturalForest_area<15.18) & !missing(Built_area,Agri_area,NaturalForest_area)

gen high_dev=1 if (Built_area>32.71 & Agri_area<=33.03 & NaturalForest_area<11.11) & !missing(Built_area, Agri_area, NaturalForest_area)

gen low_dev=1 if (Built_area<10.13 & Agri_area>=56.32 & NaturalForest_area>=15.18) & !missing(Built_area,Agri_area,NaturalForest_area)


I thank everyone for taking the time to read and hopefully helps me with the solution.

Br,

Adam