Hello,

I'm very new to Stata and am trying to complete some data cleaning. I have a dataset with 5 variables and around 200 million observations. The variables are all numeric, and I would like to check that three of them have been encoded correctly, as they were originally categorical (string) variables. For example, I would like to know if the numerical code captures distinct countries for the country variable (there may be typos in the original categories, for instance).

The original string variables are not available, but Stata shows the country names in browse (the categorical variable), but treats the variable as numeric in the data editor. Is there any way to check what the equivalencies between the two are?

Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to give me!

Best wishes,
Clara