Hello everyone

I'm working with two maps of the UK, with polygons of similar sizes. Specifically, I'm looking at NUTS3 areas and travel-to-work areas. I would like to create a unique match between NUTS3 areas and TTWAs, i.e. identify the TTWA with the highest overlap for each NUTS3 area. So far, I've managed to identify the overlapping areas using Robert Picard's geoinpoly. However, this only tells me that two areas overlap, but not by how much. Is it possible to calculate the area of overlap, to identify that with the highest overlap?

I think one way to approach this problem would be to use mergepoly to create all the overlapping polygons and calculate their area. Unfortunately I couldn't find a command that calculates the area of polygons, so any hints in this direction would also be appreciated.

Many thanks

Carolin